Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I'm a homeowner with 3 roommates and one of my roommates…

Customer Question
I'm a homeowner with 3...
I'm a homeowner with 3 roommates and one of my roommates just moved out on Jan.1st New Years Day. Because my roommate was confrontational, I feel that I want to re-key my locks and mailbox today right away. My roommate returned his key, but I have no guarantee he made copies. Does California Rental Law allow me to deduct the cost of re-keying my locks from his deposit? I need an answer fast as I found a locksmith who can come over right now.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

If the tenant returned the key then you can not charge them the cost to rekey the lock and deduct it from the security deposit. If you know for a fact that they did not return all the keys you could, but not if they returned all the keys they had.

You can not presume they made keys and charge them the rekeying fee.

Rekeying between tenants is generally a landlord expense and a cost of business in being a landlord.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you incurring liability and spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

On the internet, I read articles that landlords can charge back the cost of re-keying in San Diego even if the tenant returned the key. The tenant can not prove if he/she made copies. Why are these articles saying this? Next question, how long do I have before I return any or all of the security deposit?

I have not seen those articles, but you can not charge the tenant the cost of rekeying if they return the keys. It is a landlord's maintenance expense and cost of doing business.

Under California law, a landlord must return the renter's security deposit, with an itemized statement of deductions, within 21 days after the renter has surrendered the rental property to the landlord (that is, returned the keys and vacated the property).

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!