Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Were in California. We live in a rent control 4 plex. (25…

Customer Question
Were in California. We...

Were in California. We live in a rent control 4 plex. (25 years). The landlord has been trying to harass us out for years. The new( 2 years) upstairs guy has been running an AirBnB for 18 months. All 3 of the other tenants asked him to stop. He didn’t. So we sent a letter to the landlord, rent control board and LA housing. Its been 30 days and the landlord is letting him stay? He is now advertising to rent his extra room for 2/3 months with he says with the landlords permission. He will of course keep doing his Air BnB thing. Can we ( all 3 of the other tenants) get restitution for the last hellish 18 months ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California,like I said in the first line..

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Are you actually reading my message? We sent the report to the landlord, rent control board and LA housing authority. This included his sdds along with reviews of the people staying here...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How do we get this guy out or have hom pay us back. He is harassing everyone including coming to my business to confront me...

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/1/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Whether or not you can seek damages from the landlord OR the tenant depends on whether or not this tenant's conduct is in violation of the lease. If this tenant renting out AirBnB or renting rooms is violating his lease or your lease regarding your peaceable use of your premises, then the landlord is in breach of lease and you can sue the landlord for breach of the lease and the tenant for nuisance for the problems his violation of the lease is creating.

You would then be able to each seek damages against the landlord and tenant both for their improper conduct.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney