Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can Bronx, NY landlord evict based on exaggerated income…

Customer Question
Can Bronx, NY landlord...

Can Bronx, NY landlord evict based on exaggerated income claim after SCRIE application, and can a prospective landlord discover the tenant's previous SCRIE application?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Already did -- Bronx, NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

SCRIE application not yet filed.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
The exaggerated income claim was on the original rent-stabilized lease application, to meet the 40 months of rental amount test.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

I am not quite sure I understand what happened. Are you saying that your or an applicant on a previous SCRIE application listed income incorrectly?

The exaggerated income claim was on the original rent-stabilized lease application, to meet the 40 months of rental amount test.I am concerned that if we apply for SCRIE, it will be proof our income is less than $50k, whereas our lease application purports income of $70k for our $1484.59 lease.I am also asking if we should decide to move, would our SCRIE application be discoverable by the next prospective landlord?

Okay. I think I understand.

When you applied for the rent stabilization lease, you put down an income of $70k to meet the rent test even though it was not true.

Now you are applying for SCRIE and want to put an income of $50k so you do not have to have rent increases. I wonder what the current landlord would say about that. Also, you are concerned that a future landlord will find out that the income is $50k if you apply for another rent-stabilized apartment and want to put down $70k.

I am not sure if that is true but it does raise many concerns. You may want to have a private consultation with a local attorney about all that. And yes, it can be discoverable in a legal proceeding.