Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in a illegal apartment in a single family dwelling I…

Customer Question
I live in a illegal...
I live in a illegal apartment in a single family dwelling I asked them before I moved in if it was a legal space and they said yes now I don’t get my mail because they keep it upstairs and I get it sporadically I ask if I was going to have my own address and they said yes but I do not have my own address for months there have been mice living in my apartment they get in my bed and everywhere they refused to do anything about the mice problem until it gets to them they said recently they increase my rent by $90 I already pay over thousand and it’s a very small unit I want to move out but I’m afraid I won’t be able to get the money that I paid in rent back if I move out do I need to stay in the apartment while I’m going to the process of basically telling on them and
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/30/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

They are taking advantage of you not knowing any better. You need to go to the local legal aid office if you cannot afford an attorney, but you need to sue them for the unlawful rental and you would be entitled to ALL of the rent you have paid them during the time the premises has been illegal Furthermore, you can report them to the local building inspector and they will cite the owners and fine them. In addition, not only would they owe you all the rent you paid them back, they would have to pay the costs of your move.

Also, it is unlawful for them to withhold Mail and it is a felony and you could report them to the Postal Inspector as well and they can arrest them for unlawfully withholding your mail.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney