Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I submitted a letter letting know my landlord I’m surending…

Customer Question
I submitted a letter letting...
I submitted a letter letting know my landlord I’m surending my premise and I will not been paying the rent anymore.
I never occupied the premise and I will not be living in the US at the end of August.
What can I expect from them in the months ahead?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I’m an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you. Please note this site is for educational purposes only, does not provide legal advice and does not create an attorney client privilege. Did you have a one year lease or was it month to month?
I signed for a year, but I pay monthly.
When does your lease end?
In August ends my first lease period, but it was renewed for another year from August 2018 to July 2019.

D​id you renew it until July 2019? It sounds highly odd that it would just renew on its own without you stating you want to renew it.

T​he way it works is if you have a yearly lease you are obligated to pay the rent through that lease period BUT your landlord is required to make a diligent effort to find a new tenant - and if they do you're not obligated to pay out the rest of the lease. Otherwise, if you move out before the lease ends and stop paying rent they can get a judgment against you. Please let me know if that answers your question.

Even if I alleged that I was afraid of living there because of a shooting in the complex occurred when I suppose to occupy,

Y​ou can allege that. I can't tell you whether that will work or not to be honest. I suspect it won't. There are shootings everywhere - all across the country - and if everyone was allowed out of a lease because there was a shooting nearby there would never be a landlord who could rely on the finality of a lease. Also, unless the shooting is somehow of the landlord's doing, he really can't remedy that situation. Maybe he could put up extra locks or something like that - but I don't believe it would be grounds for a lease termination. I wish I could tell you otherwise but that is the law and, believe me while I don't always love what the law is, I'm not doing you any favors if I don't actually tell you what it is.​ Please let me know if I've answered your question.

Is there anything else I can answer for you? Can you please confirm that you received the information I sent you.