Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I cosigned with my daughter on a rental lease in Las Vegas…

Customer Question
I cosigned with my...

I cosigned with my daughter on a rental lease in Las Vegas (I'm in Oregon). She had to flee because of domestic violence. I submitted the paperwork to break the lease, and the property lease agent is now telling me that this only lets my daughter out of the lease, but I am still responsible for it. Is this true, and is there anyway I can fight this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The dv is on record, and I sent a copy of the police report, with the notice of termination. The property management accepted that for my daughter as the tenant, but they are calling me a co-leaser, not a co-signer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I'm pressed for time, because her rent was paid through the 31st, and they have no grace period for late payments. I'm not sure what to do because they are saying I have to keep paying the rent until they re-rent it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

pleasr

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, generally, co-tenants are considered jointly and severally liable for the rent. Domestic violence victims in Nevada can be let out of their lease without penalty. Whether you are a co-tenant or just the guarantor, a person that is going to be held liable for the payments cannot be let out of the lease unless they are victims of domestic violence themselves. I'm very sorry; however, you may be responsible for paying the lease. You may want to consider working with your daughter to get it paid; you may also want to consider a reasonable settlement of this with the landlord as well. Many times, creditors of all kinds will take like 50-60 percent off the original balance and accept payments over time.

If you want to break the lease, you simply can and then just pay the landlord out until the landlord re-rents the premises. It's a bit of a risk, but it's something that you can do.

Did you have any other questions for me about this at all?