Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I completed a Regus Lease for one year and at the end they…

Customer Question
I completed a Regus...

I completed a Regus Lease for one year and at the end they attempted to charge me a "dilapidation fee" which was not in the lease but the house rules. I specifically asked if there were any charges at the end because I heard of Regus auto renewing. They charged my AMEX card and I reversed it now they threaten legal action and credit bureau.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Houston, Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No it ismn't in the lease other than I will abide by HOUSE RULES that's where the dilapidation fee is

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Account:(###) ###-####
Dear *****sph Brown,We attempted to contact you, but we were unable to reach you.This is to confirm that ***** ***** is in breach of its agreement with Regus and currently owes an outstanding balance of USD 405.94We plan and will initiate legal proceedings in respect of your breach of agreement and will report your total outstanding balance to a credit bureau if you do not get in touch with us without delay.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If they did not tell you about any charges and they are not saying there is a "dilapidation fee" to which you did not agree to pay, then you are not bound to pay that amount. If they try to make you pay, then you can argue that this is a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. You could tell them that the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach which could include the money you pay for the dilapidation agreement so there is no point in you paying the $400. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?