Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a 33 year old daughter who lives in my home. Am I…

Customer Question
I have a 33...

I have a 33 year old daughter who lives in my home. Am I allowed to decide who she can invite to my house? I don't know the people (adult male and female) and don't trust my daughter's choice of friends. She let a girl (who I did not know) spend the night about a year ago and she stole from us the next morning and took off without waking up my daughter. My daughter thinks she has the right to invite anyone over. She sleeps all day and stay's up all night. She does not have a job and does not pay rent or board. In additional I pay her car insurance and student loan. She will not do anything around the house. All I ask is that she keep her room clean. It is a mess with garbage and dirty dishes everywhere. She will not listen to anything I say. I told her I would call the police if she invites this man and woman over but says she can do whatever she wants to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

We live in Illinois and she wants them to stay over today. They stayed from about 10 pm until 7:30 am about 3 nights ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

An adult living in your property with your consent is given the same rights as a tenant. That means that, unless you have a written agreement giving you approval over guests, she has a right to invite over anyone she likes, the same as you. She cannot be required to keep her room clean, absent a lease where she agreed. You're essentially a landlord, so her personal habits aren't relevant.

With that said, you have no obligation to allow her to continue living with you, or to give her any money. You can serve her with 30 days notice to vacate at any time. Or you could give her a written lease and tell her that she'll have to move out if she doesn't agree to the terms. Then, if she breaks the lease, you can give her a notice to correct her behavior or vacate. If you choose to ask her to move out, and she doesn't leave after the 30 days, you can go to court and have her forcibly evicted.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney