Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

A prior management company of my apartment complex filed…

Customer Question
A prior management company...

A prior management company of my apartment complex filed several dispossessory warrant against me and never dismissed them after I paid rent. I have a total of 7 pending from 2012-2015 that have never been signed by a judge or served. Now those pending dispossessory warrants are stopping me from getting approved for other apartments

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have tried to contact the company to have them file dismissal's but they have not responded to my request.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Since the warrants have never been pursued and the company will not remove them based on your request, you have a right to file a petition to vacate the warrants and as part of your petition you can seek attorney's fees and costs from the company that placed them and never pursued them or properly withdrew them if they were not going to serve them and pursue them as they were required to do. You would need to go to court and ask for dismissal for lack of prosecution on the warrants and ask the court to remove them and award you costs and attorney's fees for having to go to court to pursue the removal.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.