Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My mother is 85 years old. She has rented a condo for 14…

Customer Question
My mother is 85...

My mother is 85 years old. She has rented a condo for 14 years and the owner let her pay $1300 a month all that time because she is on a fixed very low income, social security. The owner has died and his children will inherit the condo. My mother cannot pay more each month. Can they kick an old lady out to rent to someone with more money?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Yes, we are in Tampa, FL

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There is no lease. Just a mutual agreement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has never been late on her payment and the place has never incurred any damage.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Lawyer: rayanswers, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Does she have a lease here?

No, no lease
I can’t afford more than the $5 I have committed to.

She is a month to month tenant here.They have to open probate and have personal representative appointed.So she may have tow to three months here.But eventually they can raise rent to terminate her with 30 days written notice.

Honestly she needs to start looking at options.She likely qualifies for Section 8 here on fixed income.She needs to get on the waiting list here.

I see. I was hoping her age would have helped us. Looks like we are screwed.
No, I am not putting her in section 8. Too dangerous.

Tampa Housing Authority  

3.740 Google reviews

Housing authority in Tampa, Florida

Address: 5301 W Cypress St, Tampa, FL 33607

Hours:

Closed now

Phone: (813)(###) ###-####/a>

No age protection here , I am sorry.Please have her call and get on the list here, this is subsidized housing here.

So you may look around for something she can afford here.

The places are horrible. Thanks anyway.

A one bedroom apartment here would be within the range she is paying.

We have to keep her near her children as we are her caregivers.
We can’t just put her anywhere.

I'll opt out here.I wish you the best.

Thank you for your time.
rayanswers
rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer