Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My mom been living in the same apt for more than 40 years i…

Customer Question
Ok my mom been...

Ok my mom been living in the same apt for more than 40 years i live with her and my two kids i been on the least since i been a child now recently the building got sold and the new owner sent my mom an eviction slip but rent is always paid got a court date the 2of jan what can i say or do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Brooklyn new york

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

My mother has dementia she doesn’t know about this but no only court day

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Dont know

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/20/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. What is the basis for the eviction? Does she have a lease in place?

I think I has to do with me and my kids living there

What are they alleging? Are they saying you are not on the lease or approved occupants?

I think so
Are u there

There needs to be a legal basis to evict. By that, I mean if there is a violation of the lease and too many occupants and/or occupants living there without permission, the landlord can proceed and evict.

A tenant can not have people living in the rental without permission from the landlord and if this is what is happening and you did not vacate when she was placed on notice, the next step is to proceed through the court and evict, I am sorry to say.

To stop the eviction it would need to be shown that you are legally allowed to be there and there is no violation.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!