Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I’m a VA employee being transferred to another facility. My…

Customer Question
I’m a VA employee...

I’m a VA employee being transferred to another facility. My landlord won’t allow me to break my lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No. We’ve only been there two months. The VA said I would be there for at least a year but they now say they need me to transfer to another facility due to a medical leave situation of another employee.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

OK. Thank you
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Unfortunately even though you are a governement employee, and the transfer may be unavoidable, you are still bound to the lease contract you signed with your landlord. Any violation of that lease would leave you open to a potential small claims suit from your landlord to recover the money due under the lease.

Does your lease have an early termination clause? Most leases have a standard early termination penalty of 2 months rent.

Another option may be to coordinate a sublease. You'll have to check with your landlord and/ or your lease to find out whether a sublet is permissible under your current lease. Perhaps your landlord will be agreeable, and that would take care of your liability for covering the rent for the duration of the lease.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones