Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

HOW MUCH TIME MUST LANDLORD NOTIFY YOU OF RENT INCREASE.

Customer Question
HOW MUCH TIME MUST...

HOW MUCH TIME MUST LANDLORD NOTIFY YOU OF RENT INCREASE

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

NEVADA HENDERSON

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I HAD ONE YEAR LEASE THAT EXPIRED AT END OF SEPT. THEY DID NOT RENEW BECAUSE THEY SOLD TO ANOTHER PERSON. SO I WENT MONTH TO MONTH WITH NO LEASE. THEY CALLED SAYING THEY WANTED ME TO COME IN AND SIGN NEW LEASE. ABOUT DECEMBER 5TH I WENT IN TO SIGN NEW LEASE AND FOUND OUT THAT INSTEAD OF $500 MONTH PLUS UTILITIES (WATER & ELECTR) THEY NOW WANTED $650 AND UTILITIES ARE NOW MY RESPONSIBILITY. THERE ARE NO METERS ON MY BUILDING SO I ASKED HOW THEY WERE GOING TO CHARGE FOR UTILITIES. PRORERTY MANAGER HAD NO IDEA BUT THEY STILL WANTED ME TO SIGN NEW LEASE.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Notwithstanding the other issues, a landlord in a month to month tenancy must give a month's notice of any increase in rent. No less.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.