Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Yeah I got an apartment with a friend on the lease the

Customer Question
Yeah I got an...

Yeah I got an apartment with a friend my name is ***** ***** the lease the landlord found out I was here and found out I had an eviction in the past I pay all the rent here and now she wants me to believe immediately

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Nc

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No there are no terms to maintenance or upkeep

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Please help me stay in my apartment I'm a 100% service connected veteran combat that

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. So, generally, if the landlord did not know that you were staying on the property, then you are technically considered a trespasser. Trespassers aren't given the same rights as tenants. If a landlord knows someone is staying on their land, even without a lease, they have the rights of a tenant. In this case, I do not see that the landlord knew you were on the property. Therefore, unfortunately, the landlord has the right to have you removed from the land. You may be able to stay on the property because the landlord generally cannot force you to leave in this case physically. The landlord would probably have to go to court, sue you for the eviction, and then get a court order. This could buy you some time to either a) work out an agreement or b) find a new place. Did you have other questions for me regarding this today?