Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can I lose my voucher if I don’t agree with the charges my…

Customer Question
Hello can I lose...

Hello can I lose my voucher if I don’t agree with the charges my former landlord is trying to charge me after I moved

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She reported it to my caseworker at the same time she sent it to me that I owe her $2,800 besides my $900 deposit

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I feel the charges are false because why do I pay for her to repaint or wear and tear

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

You are not liable to pay for ordinary wear and tear. First step is to report to your case worker that the charges are incorrect and the landlord is seeking to make you pay for ordinary wear and tear which is against the landlord tenant law. The housing office first will try to resolve the situation with the landlord. However, if they cannot resolve the matter, you would then be forced to go to legal aid and sue the landlord for breach of lease for trying to charge you ordinary wear and tear costs when they are not your legal liability. If you need to sue in court, you can sue for any damages you have incurred as a result of the landlord trying to claim improper costs against you.

If you have photographs of the premises that would be helpful to show your case worker so she would know that the charges are improper. Generally, if there is a true legal dispute over damages, no you will not lose your voucher because of that dispute.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.