Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If a new landlord takes over my build do they have to honor…

Customer Question
If a new landlord...

If a new landlord takes over my build do they have to honor my two year lease in calfionia

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

2 year commercial lease up 2020 and yes they have to do maintenance and up keep

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/19/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 8 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Yes, when a rented property changes ownership, the new owner takes it subject to all the existing tenancies that are in effect at the time.

.

They don't get to cancel a lease simply because they bought the building and they just become the new landlord..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks