Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in Multnomah county, Portland Oregon, I have a little…

Customer Question
Hi, I live in...

Hi, I live in Multnomah county, Portland Oregon, I have a little apartment I rent out that needed repairs, I let the tenant put her hotel on my credit card, I understand that my insurance will only pay for $45 of the 107 a night hotel bill, how do I get her to pay me back for the difference? I asked her to pay it, then said if she needs more time can take 2 months, she said she's not paying me anything. So, is there a special form to ask for this money she owes me, or, small claims court, or, should I just drop it, and wait and take it out of her Security Deposit when she leaves? She told me she has Renters Insurance, but is unwilling to agree to paying me back anyway. Her interpretation of me putting the Hotel Room on my card is that I agreed to pay it all, it was not, and I never said it was. She says her Mom heard her say stuff I didn't, and her Mom has every reason to lie to benifit her daughter, and, in fact is the one that counseled her daughter to have me put the hotel on my card, and in the emergency plumbing situ, I didn't know any better,,my tenant said her mom is a landlord too, and that's what I should do. Am I screwed?

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Portland, Oregon Multnomah county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will make it a sepperate question, thanks thats all for now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm sorry for the long delay. So, generally, if a tenant has to be put out, the landlord can either a) have the rent abated for that time they're gone or b) pay for their hotel room. So, unless you have an agreement to the contrary, you may be on the hook for the time the renter was out of the building. You may want to consider just reducing the rent amount consistent with the difference between what insurance paid and the cost of the room; however, that'd be entirely your choice.

What other questions did you have for me today?