Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I live in a home is sf California since 2000. The home was…

Customer Question
I live in a...

I live in a home is sf California since 2000. The home was built in 1965. Our rent has never been increased. I believe the home is constituded as a single family home. What are my rights as a tenant?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Nope

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

sound good.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, you are still going to have the same rights as any other tenant in California. This means you have the right to have a place that is habitable, to have quiet enjoyment of the premises, and you have the right to be free from discrimination as a result of your tenancy. This is the case whether you have a yearly lease or a monthly rental agreement. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

How do I know if my rental home is under rental control?

Usually, your county or your city will have a list of zip codes that are under rent control. What city and county do you live in?

San Francisco, San Francisco
*****SF ca, 94134

Ok, let me check real quick...

Ok, unfortunately, I can't verify whether your address is under rent control. Generally, buildings built after June 1979 are not going to be under rent control in SF. In checking your property, it looks like it was built in 65 as you said, which means it won't be. I would recommend contacting the San Francisco Assessor's office and find out whether your home is under rent control. This is the group that is responsible for the zoning ordinances such as who is under rent control. It's possible it's just not available online like. LA county posts it online, but many municipalities don't. I'm very sorry and I wish I could have been of more help. Did you have any other questions for me int he meantime?

You can click here to find the tool to see all of the information regarding your property as well.

You answer made no sense. Please read it back.

Ok, let me see if I can clarify it: your property is not under rent control because it was built before June 1979.

On the website you sent me
it states that if a property was build before 1979 that is is under rent control.

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. If it was built after 79, it's not under rent control. My apologies. If it was pre-1979, then it is under rent control.

are there any other variations that would not make my home under rent control? such as single family homes?

I'll verify whether this is the case. But first, let me ask, is your building attached to any other residences at all? For example, are you Unit A, Space A, or something like that?

I know you said you believed it was single family, but reviewing pictures may tell a different tale.

no
But the neighborhood homes are all attached to each other

Understood. If that is the case, then your home is actually not going to be under rent control; however, you may want to check the county assessor's office to determine with specificity whether your home is considered a single-family residence. It is entirely possible that it is zoned as a duplex or an apartment, but it has single family characteristics. You're likely correct though that it is single family, meaning that even if it was built before 1979, it won't be under rent control. The same goes for other places like dorms and very short-term hotels. Did you have other questions for me at all?

how and where do I find a correct answer to my question?

My recommendation would be to click here. This is the city/county of SF rent board. They will know with 100% certainty at least where you can find the information and whether your home is under rent control. Despite my earlier hesitations, I have no reason to believe it is under rent control in my legal opinion. What other questions did you have for me today?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer