Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I have a landlord dispute with current landlord and have on…

Customer Question
I have a landlord...

I have a landlord dispute with current landlord and have on going issues. Current one is Furnace went out last week, she called a heating company in and when they fixed, it was improperly and unprofessionally done. Gas leak in 3 spots that guy took it apart. Columbiana gas red tagged it and shut it down and got letter from gas company. Now had to call a second time and still leaking in 1 spot, red tagged, and shut down. Landlord is friends with the company and insisting on having them come a third time and not til tomorrow. So, I am with out heat. Wanting to know what my rights are on her having to get another company out. I do not want to lose my belongings or life because of her hiring ones that are not clearly doing the job right.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Aliance, Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

She is responsible and does not want us to hire outside one ourself.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There have been several problems with a lot of her properties and she continues to bend the rules for herself. Last dwelling place of hers had floor falling in, leaks (water ) all over and I just continue to have trouble with her. Others do also, and one is in court with hure and vacated property

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/18/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 2 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Wanting to know what my rights are on her having to get another company out

.

Legally you wouldn't have any control over who she called out to work on the furnace as a tenant doesn't have the power to direct who makes repairs... However, if the furnace is out, you would have the right to stay in a hotel overnight if the landlord isn't providing an alternate heating source, like space heaters. No heat makes the property uninhabitable and puts the landlord in breach.

.

Once they have their repair person out, if you wanted to have their work checked, you could call the gas company and tell them that you smell gas.. They will come out and inspect and make sure everything is done to code.

.

.

thanks

I have had gas company out two times now. Last time, and today. So, have no rights for her to have to send someone else out. What If I choose to move out. (month to month lease now.) rent was just paid and can give 30 day notice. and she has my deposit still.

So, have no rights for her to have to send someone else out.

.

Correct. She controls who works on her property..

.

What If I choose to move out. (month to month lease now.) rent was just paid and can give 30 day notice. and she has my deposit still.

.

The place is uninhabitable without heat...so that would give you legal grounds to move out if she didn't fix the heat.. Now if it is just one day, a court likely wouldn't allow you to immediately terminate and vacate, rather than staying in a hotel overnight at the landlord's expense..

.

But you are free to give a 30 day notice to terminate your tenancy any time you choose to as a month to month tenant..

.

As for the deposit, that can only be used for actual damages, cleaning, late fees, and delinquent rent that is owed after you moved out..

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney