Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Can my landlord evict me if the rent for the month is paid.

Customer Question
Can my landlord evict...

Can my landlord evict me if the rent for the month is paid

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We had a seven day notice to cure for pet odor and told the two dogs must be removed I cleaned the carpets sent the dogs to my daughter landlord walked in looked for tha dogs one of which Is a service dog told me pet order was not fixed. And he did not believe my wife had gotten rid of them told he was filing for eviction Tuesday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need general answers for this problem

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/17/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract if you fixed the issue with the dogs, but they are still looking to evict you. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

You may also have a case for discrimination on the basis of disability if they're a service dog and someone in the house is using them/

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer