Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I habitable unit I'm currently living in a basement that is…

Customer Question
I habitable unit I'm...

I habitable unit I'm currently living in a basement that is unfinished some of the drywall isn't cut up there's no smoke detectors or carbon detectors it's concrete flooring no Heating and I had the ability to go in the main house to be able to cook but the landlord has actually locked me out

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I was supposed to write a room upstairs the rental agreement was never signed because there was facts on there that was not correct and I asked her to fix them and I would sign it but there was no verbal agreement as far as basement and finishing up I'm not sure if there's like paint here I know that there's mold here

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Rent a room

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/17/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Have you reported the Landlord to the City's Sanitary Department?

Why did the Landlord lock you out?

Thank you for your cooperation,

I'm not sure why she locked me out I did pay her October's rent and she waited till November to file an unlawful detainer. She has also told the post officer that i didnt live here anymore. I have reported her to the postmaster in Sacramento
I have felt ive answered all your questions is there something that I missed
What does the law state regarding habitables rentals units

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If your unit is not habitable, the Landlord is not entitled to any rent. So, the Landlord must return all rent paid.

You need to make a demand for refund. If your demand is ignored, then you need to file lawsuit against the Landlord to recover the rents paid. If your claim is $10,000.00 or less, you can file the lawsuit in Small Claims Session. Click here for Small Claims forms and instructions.

You need to contact your City Hall and ask to be transferred to the Sanitary Department/Inspectional Services Department so that you can report your Landlord. The Inspectional Servicess Department would send code enforcement Officer to go to the premises and inspect the place and issue citation to the Landlord.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you for ypur advice. I will rate your proformance as A1

Kindly use the popup screen to give your 5-star rating.

Thank you!

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law