Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can my landlord demand that my mom, who likes to visit, fill…

Customer Question
Can my landlord demand that...
Can my landlord demand that my mom, who likes to visit, fill out an application and pay a $35 fee? She's trying to prove that my mom lives here when she doesn't. She is threatening eviction if my mom doesn't fill it out. My mom says its a violation of her civil rights. We live in California.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/16/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Do you have a lease or rent month to month?

6 month lease

Thank you. Unless this is stated in the lease and/or your mother/guest is there more than allowed under the lease, the landlord could not simply demand this. You are allowed to have guests and your mother can stay the night, so unless she is exceeding what is stated in the lease there would be no basis for this. If the landlord believes she is living there, the burden would be on them to prove this and use it as a basis to evict. If they can not, their attempt to evict will be denied.

Thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.