Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Does the Tenant have the right to transfer to a different…

Customer Question
Does the Tenant have...

Does the Tenant have the right to transfer to a different Tenant? I realize that all the terms will stay the same. Not comfortable with the new propose Tenant. Do I have the right to refuse and stay with the current Tenant?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The only maintenance and upkeep is maintaining the building they had built.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I received a LandLord Estoppel Certificate regarding the Ground Lease and I understand that the current Tenant is transferring to a new one. Can this be done or can I refuse?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/15/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 2 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: If the lease is for a specific term and states that the tenant may not assign the lease or sublet the rental unit, then you would be able to refuse the tenant's assignment. Otherwise, you would not be able to refuse the assignment.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi