Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I am living in an apartment where rats have moved into. The…

Customer Question
I am living in...

I am living in an apartment where rats have moved into. The management was notified seven weeks ago now, and pest control was just brought out last week Tuesday to set traps in the building. I, myself have killed 6 rats in my apartment, supplied my own traps and cleaned up the mess. I've had to clean up rat feces and urine every day from my bathroom and kitchen. There are holes in my ac ducts and I can't cook in my kitchen because I've killed 3 rats in the vent above the stove in the kitchen plus because the rats we're building a nest in the bottom drawer of my stove and the manager refuses to give me a new stove, only wanted to replace the drawer, which stinks as well.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry, this on on Texas.... What am I allowed to do as far as my requests and as far as how long they are taking? This is a serious health concern.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I called code compliance with the city of San Antonio, all they said was, "as long as pest control was notified, that's all the apartment complex needs to be doing". SERIOUSLY?!?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have pictures of everything, plus, I've had make some of the repairs because some of the holes were discovered on the weekend and maintenance stated it wasn't an "emergency" so I had to wait for the work day.... Regardless of the fact that rats we're going to be coming in and out of the holes until then! Maintenance is coming today because I believe there is a nest I my apartment because now I'm only finding babies, day before yesterday pest control pulled out 10 BIG dead rats from the attic, which I have a picture of, so now the babies are looking for food !!

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/15/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 2 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. The rental property needs to be habitable and if there are rats and the landlord is failing or unable to get rid of them and cure this problem, you could have a legal basis to break the lease and vacate. The fact that they are in the ducts were in the stove and other areas which you use on a daily basis, the landlord needs to make sure these are clean and safe for use. If they are not you would have another reason to vacate and sue for damages suffered.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer