Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

My name is *************and I am a Section 8 tenant for 28…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is *************and I am a Section 8 tenant for 28 years. I currently reside in Brooklyn New York and hold two state licenses. A Group Family Daycare License and Incorporated Childcare business The Teddy Bear Club Daycare Inc. The other license is a State Board license to board foster and adopted children from Little Flowers Family and Children Services. I currently have six foster children ages 9 months, 1 year, 3 years, 4 years, 12 years and 19 years. I also have one adopted daughter and two biological children, and two grandchildren. All of them are in my daycare as well and the older ones works in my daycare as staff members. Please help me know what are my rights as a tenant who would like to remain in my apartment. My landlord took me to court for an holdover case earlier this year. I’m supposed to move out by November 1, 2017. It’s really hard to find an apartment and with gentrification and all it’s even more harder to find and fit in anywhere. I am a good tenant and don’t owe any back rent. It’s for possession of the apartment. Not for non payment of rent. Furthermore I do air of community service work and help needy children for years. Not to mention I love what I do. Lastly, I found one apartment and the realtor need a reference from my landlord and he didn’t say anything about what kind of tenant I was for ten years. So the realtor passed on me regarding the new apartment. I think this will continue to happen for other apartments if my landlord can’t give a good reference about me. How can I fight to stay in my apartment with all these children. Most importantly my landlord told me the Marshall WIL be coming soon.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

He doesn’t want to renew my lease and yes he failed the New York City Housing Authority also known as NYCHA inspection this year. Therefore they stop sending him the checks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I would like for my landlord to give me a one or two year lease and allow me to save for a down payment for a one or two family house. At one time my landlord wanted to sell the house. I am interested in buying this house or my mother and other family members are interested in buying this house if he still wants to sell.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/14/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Why is he not renewing your lease and seeking possession?

You are aware you cannot force a landlord to allow any tenant to remain in a property once the lease is up?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer