Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I was served with a notice to quit today 12/13 for failure…

Customer Question
I was served with...

I was served with a notice to quit today 12/13 for failure to pay rent for December. My leasing office told me they would accept my payment on Friday december 15th, will this nullify the eviction process?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No issues with anything except payment Management claims I can ignore the move out date as they would just like me to go into a court ordered payment stipluation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They have allowed me to pay last many months, many times without even asking me when rent will be coming. Even tho I have paid late, I have never lapsed and owed multiple months and there has been plenty of times I have reached out to them regarding rent before they have even said anything to me

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Lawyer: rayanswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes make sure you get a receipt or written confirmation that they will withdraw the notice to quit and accept December rent here.It cannot hurt to get a written acknowledgement for December and that lease is reinstated, Anything in writing here would protect you, you want to have it just in case.I don't think they could evict you anyway under the law but having this is good protection.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

I have in writing via email previous to the notice to quit that they will accept payment dated 12/15. Everything is electronic now and all payments are made online. Is this enough with the email to have proof?
They also just emailed me back saying after I pay they are moving into a court order payment stipulation with me.. is that legal? they are also claiming Im liable for all legal fees?
Last question, at the bottom of the notice it says any payments tendered after service of the notice to quit will be accepted for reimbursement of costs and for use and occupancy, and not for rent, with full reservation of rights to continue the eviction action.
what does that mean

I have in writing via email previous to the notice to quit that they will accept payment dated 12/15. Everything is electronic now and all payments are made online. Is this enough with the email to have proof?Yes it is.

They also just emailed me back saying after I pay they are moving into a court order payment stipulation with me.. is that legal? they are also claiming Im liable for all legal fees? They can do that too and seek legal fees since you were late, saves you from being evicted.

what does that mean , it means They they are trying to get around accepting your rent.The agreement here supersedes this language.Understand you cannot be late again they will evict you.

Good luck to you here, Happy Holidays ans and thanks for rating 5 stars.