Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have tenants that are not paying the full amount. They…

I have tenants that are...
I have tenants that are not paying the full amount. They moved in Nov of this year and gave 2 bounced checks. Rent and deposit is $6K ($3K + $3K) which they failed to pay on the Nov 1st. They were able to give me $4K total as of now. They technically owe me total $9K for November and December. I allowed them to pay for the deposit in Jan 2018. But they still owe me $2K for the rest of Dec plus the late fees and bounce check ($260). I did not do a credit check and employment verification but I had a contract with them for 2 years. Is there a way I can threaten them about paying? I'm in California. Bay area (Newark).
12/13/2017
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Thank you

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You can send them a demand letter, advising of what is owed. You can make it clear to them that if they do not pay, you will then proceed and give them a final notice to cure or vacate and if they remain, proceed with the eviction. The fear or concern about being evicted, should compel them to pay, so they do not have to move just after a few months.

Can they come back at me some how? Like not pay at all? If I start the eviction, doesn't it take some time where they don't pay?

If they do not pay at all you can sue to evict them AND for money owed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

that is good for now. thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Is this a good letter to use?

If the landlord gives the tenant a three-day notice because the tenant hasn't paid the rent, the notice must accurately state the amount of rent that is due. In addition, the notice must state:

• The name, address and telephone number of the person to whom the rent must be paid.
  • If payment may be made in person, the usual days and hours that the person is available to receive the rent payment. If the address does not accept personal deliveries, then you can mail the rent to the owner at the name and address stated in the three-day notice. If you can show proof that you mailed the rent to the stated name and address (for example, a receipt for certified mail), the law assumes that the rent payment is received by the owner on the date of postmark.
  • Instead, the notice may state the name, street address and account number of the financial institution where the rent payment may be made (if the institution is within five miles of the unit). If an electronic fund transfer procedure was previously established for paying rent, payment may be made using that procedure.
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney