Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Bought house in New York with tenant present who said he…

Customer Question
Bought house in...

Bought house in New York with tenant present who said he wanted to continue renting month to month

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Bough t property end of September no rent paid since > NO security deposit transferred from prior owner. Tenant mentioned saving to move. Gave notice of plan to evict. Never paidrent. Renter moved beds out and not staying in apartment but left other personal property in apartment. Doesn't return calls. Heating with small electric heater. I am worried about pipes freezing > how long after they have left before I can change locks and drain pipes or get appropriate heat going.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/13/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 2 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Once the tenant has vacated the rental and it is clear they have no intent to return, you could enter to take care of these things, to prevent problems and damaging from occurring. If you believe the tenant has moved out and will not return, you could enter. It is always questionable when personal items are left but if you do not think anyone is living there and those items were abandoned, you could enter.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer