Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord/Tenant question in Louisiana: Landlord/Tenant

Customer Question
Landlord/Tenant question in Louisiana: ...

Landlord/Tenant question in Louisiana:

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Landlord/Tenant question in Louisiana: If a tenant does not pay rent, and has abandoned the property, can the landlord change locks, therefore locking out the tenant with the tenant's belongings inside the residence? I must add that all of the above occurred prior to any written notice provided by either party to the other party.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/13/2017
Lawyer: rayanswers, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes you can do so.You are allowed to change locks, secure premises, you might want to move somebody in here as soon as you can to get it occupied here.There is not a problem to do so under Louisiana law.

Reference

See Walters v. Greer, 31,480 (La.App.2d Cir.1/20/99), 726 So.2d 1094; Sunbelt Sec. Services, Inc. v. Delahoussaye, 572 So.2d 598 (La.App. 4th Cir.1990). “Abandonment requires voluntary relinquishment of the premises by the lessee with the intent to terminate without vesting ownership in another.” Walters, supra.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

OK, to clear things up a bit. The tenant had abandoned the residence, but never did provide any notice to landlord, and had intentions of returning to get his belongings. What potential downside is there for the landlord not allowing said tenant to retrieve his belongings left in the residence?

I would remove and store the property here.Give him 30 days to claim his property and you are free to donate the items.

Thanks again.

Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.Happy Holidays.

rayanswers
rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer