Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I met a girl from Alabama online and she has been in my

Hi , I met a...
Hi , I met a girl from Alabama online and she has been in my house for 8 weeks. How do I get her to leave?
12/12/2017
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What state are you in?

.

Have you given her any written notice to vacate?

.

.

thanks

I’m in Alabama and I’ve only asked her verbally to leave

Unfortunately, you have now become a landlord and the person is legally a tenant under an oral month to month tenancy agreement. So you will have to first terminate her tenancy with a written 30 day notice to vacate signed by you (keep a copy) and then if she doesn't vacate you can file a formal eviction action in the local court once the 30 day notice expires.

.

If the notice period has expired, you would need to file an unlawful detainer action in District court to begin the legal eviction process. Once you fill out the UD complaint and file it with the court clerk, you would then have the Sheriff serve it on the occupant. The occupant has 5 days to file an answer to the complaint.

.

The clerk will give you a court date where you will appear and tell the judge that you have terminated their tenancy by giving the 30 day notice and they have not vacated. They have paid no rent and you are asking for a judgment and writ of possession. The occupant will likely not show up, so you should get a default judgment. Once the judge grants you a judgment and writ, he will then tell you that you can have the Sheriff serve the writ and physically evict the occupant and set any of their property out on the curb.

.

It gets complicated when you let someone move in with you...

.

.

thanks

Wow only after 8 weeks that’s amazing! Lesson learned. Don’t let people move in with u.��

Yes, it actually only takes a month before someone converts from a "guest" who you can just throw out and lock the door, to an occupant, who you have to legally evict...

.

You could try just locking her out, but if she called the police, they would put her back in possession and she could potentially file suit against you for an illegal eviction.. so it is risky..

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney