Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I signed a lease last year and paid first month, last month…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I signed...

Hi Pearl, I signed a lease last year and paid first month, last month and security deposit when I moved in. I asked my landlord last month to extend my lease until September of 2018. The landlord said yes.It is December, which is the last month of my current lease. My landlord asked me for the rent for December. I told her I paid it last year when I moved in. She says that I owe her first and last months rent again for December 2017 and January 2018. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I am in Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No nothing has been filed. The landlord and I have been texting.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The landlord lives in South America. Her home is in Columbia.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The last month's rent is intended to cover your very last month's occupancy in the property. When a lease is extended, that last month's rent also gets extended. Since you are now staying until September, the last month's rent will cover August 2018. As a result, you do still have to pay for December 2017.

You do not have to pay a new "first month's rent," since your first month happened last year. But you will pay her January's rent on the 1st. She has no basis for asking for it earlier.

Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?