Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I've gotten a letter in the mail saying i have to be at

Customer Question
I've gotten a letter...

I've gotten a letter in the mail saying i have to be at court on thursday... And they want possession of my unit... How cud that not happen?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I mean from time to time i don't get heat or hot water... I have wholes in my walls for mice to come out of... I will admit i do owe them but my job don't have any work for us... And it been like this for months now... And then come friday we might not have a job...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No... Thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, generally, if you are being summoned to court, then it is likely that you were served with an unlawful (sometimes called forcible detainer) action. This upcoming hearing is likely to determine whether the judge is going to find in favor of the landlord or in favor of you. If you were not properly served with the lawsuit,t hen you should make this clear with the courts. If you have reason to believe that this is based on retaliation or some other unlawful action, then you should bring this up as well. You could say that the place is not inhabitable so the landlord cannot evict you until they bring the place up to code and make it habitable.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer