Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We got a water notice that we had high consumption on Nov 6…

We got a water...

We got a water notice that we had high consumption on Nov 6 2017, on Nov 8 2017 I called the water company and they said we had used 42 units of water for the month of Nov. our usual consumption is between 4-6 units. I contacted the landlord on Nov.8, The lady said they were calling a plumber, then on the 13 the guy came over (they live right across the road) and checked the toilets, he was sure that was the problem although they hadn't been running, so he cancelled the plumber. he called the water dept to come back out and check so on the 13 of Nov. the water lady came out and checked and the meter said we had used11 units since the 6th, The lady at the water dept told me the landlord has 10 days after they are notified to fix the leak and then the bill can usually be adjusted. Well after Nov.13 they did call a plumber and they did come out on the 17(not sure of this date) they couldn't find any leak. They crawled under the house, dug some holes but couldn't find anything. The landlord said they gave them a quote of 7000.00 to dig up the line under the driveway (it is asphalt), and it had already cost them 1000.00 to have them out for that day, and that was just way to expensive. Then on Nov. 27 the plumber came back out and dug around by the meter but still didn't find the leak, and the guy from the water company came out and he checked the water in the meter box and it tested positive for chlorine. So all this time my husband and I had been calling the water department about the bill because we don't feel it is our responsibility, and they keep saying its the property owners responsibility. Then on Nov. 4 I called the landlord lady and asked her about the bill and she said its our responsibility. And I said how is it our responsibility, we don't own the property, and if I did own the property I would go out and dig up the line and find the leak. She said they were trying really hard to get it fixed but that it is so expensive to hire a plumber, so her son was going to come and dig up the line. So on Nov. 6 her son came out and dug up the line and found the leak. So the water was shut off all day on Nov. 6 and Nov.7. On Nov. 7 they put a patch on the line and turned on the water but then there was a leak at the meter valve. The landlord called the water company but they are closed on Fridays. So the Landlord told my husband he could go out and turn the water on and see how bad it was leaking, and that we could turn it on over the weekend if we wanted because it was our water bill. And my husband said " is everything my responsibility, is that what it says in the rental agreement?" and the Landlord said to him "Oh don't even go there, or your out of here". So we are wondering what to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

12/10/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. However, your question is too broad in light of the issues presented.

Kindly narrow your questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Are we responsible for the water bill, and can he kick us out? We always pay our rent keep the place up and pay our bills.

Thank you for the information.

No, you are not responsible for the water bill under the circumstances.

Also, the Landlord cannot evict you under the circumstances. If the Landlord attempts to evict you for asserting your rights, that would be considered retaliatory and it is illegal. Any eviction action filed by the Landlord must therefore be defended by showing the circumstances leading to the eviction notice to show that the eviction is thus retaliatory and illegal and must not be allowed to take place.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

what should we do about the water bill?

Send it to the Landlord and request that the bill be paid.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law