Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Needed to know how can i break an apartment lease after a…

Customer Question
Needed to know how...

Needed to know how can i break an apartment lease after a break in

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Tampa, florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It is an off campus apt , someone break in in the apt through one the roomates window, my daughter was in her room when she heard noises, she ran for a life by escaping through her bedroom window. On her bedroom door, there were traces of force entry with a knife, the intuders left the knife next to her door, she is been traumatized since then

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I wanted if i can the break the lease without legal repercussions

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/8/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Has she reported it to the management? Does she know if there were previous problems?

she did and a police report was filed
Texting is ok for me

Thank you. What was their response?

They said they don't have any other apt available on the ground, it is all full.

What about another apartment higher up?

This is exactly what I asked them, they said they don't have any available, what options do I have

They have a legal obligation to provide a safe and secure environment. If this was the first time this happened and was an isolated event, they would need to take additional steps to safeguard the rental unit and property. If this is a lower level rental, they should place more secure windows, to prevent someone from entering and even consider security, cameras, lights, etc. They should also try and relocate her, if there are issues, even if it means her waiting another month, as I have to believe rentals are always coming available. If this is not possible and this is not the first time, she could have grounds to break the lease and vacate as she should not have to stay and be a victim of this.

From what she told me, this is not the first break in in this complex apt, it is called campus lodge Apts in Tampa

Thank you. Yes, there are a few of these rental communities throughout the State of Florida. If this is not the first break in and they are aware and have not resolved the issue, she would have a basis to break the lease and vacate and a defense, if they tried to sue her. A Judge would not expect her to stay and rent when she could be a victim of crime and be harmed.

Do I need to send them a letter to let them know about my intention to break the lease, what is the best way to do it, or do you help people making letter, cuz I feel overwhelmed cuz I am the one working hard to pay the appt for her, I am also the guarantor on the lease, and also at this time I am dealing with my sick sister who has has leukemia, it is much, I pay them on time, what do I have to go through that hassle to get a higher level apt

Yes, a demand letter would need to be sent, advising them of the severity of the situation and demanding them to remedy it. If they can not relocate her to another rental that provides more security and she feels safer in, she can advise she is vacating and that they have breached the lease, by failing to provide a safe and secure environment. She can place them on notice that she is vacating and turn over possession and see if they will agree to release her and allow her to walk away If they come after her, she will need to defend this, at that time.

Do I need to send them a letter or will an email be just fine

A letter should be sent via certified mail. If she is on the lease, she needs to sign it. If you simply signed as a co-signor, it would only make you liable for payment, so she needs to be released from the lease agreement and they need to agree to cancel the lease and not hold you liable as well. An email can follow the letter, placing them on notice of this, so there is evidence that it was received.

i will call you after i get hold of my daughter, so we can all be on a 3 way line

You are welcome. Yes, that is fine. The site does charge an additional fee for call requests, so I just wanted to make you aware. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

i will pay the extra charge for the phone call.

No problem

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!