Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My girlfriend has paid up on her rent and is moving Sunday.

Customer Question
Her landlord is not letting...
My girlfriend has paid up on her rent and is moving Sunday. Her landlord is not letting her retrieve her things until she pays an addition $320 for who knows what before she can get her things. I think this violates the tort (interference with goods) Act 1977. There is no court order. The landlord is breaking the law I believe. Am I right?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/8/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If her rent is current, does she still have access to the rental? How or what is he doing to prevent this?

My apologies for not responding sooner. Yes, she just caught up with her rent after 2 months in the hospital due to a brain clot that required surgery. Her rent is $450 a month so last week I paid $900 for back rent. After that, the landlord said she owed her $320 additional expenses which as of today, I don't know what that is for. My girlfriend can get in her apartment but the land lord will not let her remove anything until the $320 is paid. My gf is a little timid. Her landlord knew she was moving as soon as the $900 back rent was paid but the landlord has prevented her move almost 2 weeks while my gf comes up with $320. This can't be legal.
Thank you for the reply. You are correct. It is not legal and what the landlord is doing is illegal. They can not use self help to get this money and prevent her from getting her stuff and entering the rental. If she owes money they need to sue her for it or if they want her out, need to evict. She can enter and the landlord can not prevent her from removing her items and if they are she should call the police. She could even go so far as sue the landlord for damages suffered if she is not able to retrieve her items and incurs additional costs.
Thank you for your help and suggestions on this. I of course will give a good review.
Thank you and best of luck to her. I look forward to the positive rating above

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.