Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My roommate left owing me $356. When she refused to pay, I…

Customer Question
My roommate left owing...

My roommate left owing me $356. When she refused to pay, I cofiscated her perfume bottles and pictures of her parents and told her that she would have 2 weeks to pay me the $356 or I was going to throw them away. She didn’t pay me and I threw them away. Now she’s hired an attorney to take me to court over the perfume bottles. Do she have a case? She has no documentation as to the quantity of bottles she had or any authentication as to their value.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. She just sent me a text saying she had hired Gloria Allred to report sent her and that she would be calling me.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/7/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

ANSWER: Okay, the odds that she hired a high powered attorney are... and this is just my opinion: 0.000000000000000001%. So, no. As for whether she has a case for the perfume bottles I'm sorry to say that she does. You can't take someone's property and throw it away for failing to pay you money. She can file in small claims court for the value of the perfume and anything else discarded - and you could also sue her for the $356. Please let me know if I've answered your question. I can't legitimately tell you she doesn't have a claim because that won't be doing you ANY favors!

Could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question (assuming you don't need any clarification - but definitely ask if you do!) so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars ★★★★★ is definitely appreciated!). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.