Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My apartment manager and maintenance has failed for three…

Customer Question
My apartment manager and...

My apartment manager and maintenance has failed for three months to repair my heater. I live in Jonesboro Ga, it is 30 degrees here and I have no heat. I have complained now for three months. Now they are avoiding me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No mention of maintenance upkeep. Can I write a letter to refuse to pay rent until the heater is repaired.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes..the apartment management mentioned to me I have an emergency when I'm without heat in cold weather, and for me to contact them after hours maintenance will call me and come out. I did what was requested twice in one day at 1 am and 6 am, no response. No response when the office opened that morning at 9am

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. You certainly have rights as a tenant and can exercise them, if the landlord is failing to make this repairs and has been placed on notice, of it. A tenant must give the landlord reasonable notice of repairs that need to be done ( which you have). If the landlord fails to make the repairs within a reasonable time, the tenant may make reasonable repairs and deduct the reasonable cost from the rent. Alternatively, the tenant can file a lawsuit against the landlord for damages arising from their failure to repair. If the landlord has filed suit against the tenant, the tenant may seek to offset the reduction in the value of the leased property caused by the landlord's failure to repair.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer