Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am disabled and have been renting a room from my parents…

Customer Question
I am disabled...

I am disabled and have been renting a room from my parents since 1991, andI have always been granted full access to all communal areas of the property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

My mother passed away and my father is tired and wants to get rid of all responsibilties such as the house. I was handed a letter stating that i must vacate by Jan 28th. I don't have a issue about moving or just buying thje house, but he has these individuals that without notice start going through my property, telling what i is mine and what is not. They are rude and are harassing me and my ESA animal that I fear for me, my pets and my property. what are my options? Could I get a resrtaiining order so I can spend the last month in peace, so I can plan to move out. Their intrusions or possible daily intrusions are causing me unconrollable anxiety and I am having panicattacks, and fear going to work because of their animosity

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We line in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And the verbal agreement is that I continue to respect the family home and pay $300 per month

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, if they are harassing you and placing you in fear of safety, you can go to civil court and file for a civil restraining order to force them to keep away from you and allow you to get your own property collected and to move out in peace. Once the court issues the restraining order they could not return until you move out.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.