Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

How do I remove a report on my records so they can look into…

Customer Question
How do I remove...

How do I remove a report on my records so they can look into the matter

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

Ca and no

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/5/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Can you please share with me a little more about the situation? What record are you talking about?

I applied for an apartment but my credit report came up red flagged due to past rental history. There is a outstanding balance due but I want to dispute that. I was advised if I file dispute it will remove it within 5 days from my report until they look into it

Yes, any dispute would need to be with the credit bureaus, who are reporting this. They would be given a chance to respond and if they can not support the money owed / debt, it would drop off. You could also consider trying to settle with them if they report this and get it taken off your report or reported as satisfied, so it does not count against you.

how do I get it removed within 5 days. Where do I file the dispute?

Here you go. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0151-disputing-errors-credit-reports

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

can I file this online for dispute

You can see once you full your free report, since it should give you the option to challenge and contest this online.

I didn't see this on my free credit report regarding any outstanding rental history. it was child support only. is there any other way I can find it. and if I dispute online will it go away within 5 days

It would not likely go away in 5 days. While disputed information is being reviewed by a credit bureau, it is not typically labeled as “disputed” on your credit report.

1. Experian Disputes
    When you file a credit dispute with Experian, the agency reaches out to the furnisher and gives it 30 days from the date you submitted your request to respond back. For Maine residents, the time frame is 21 days. When the agency receives a response, Experian will notify you of the results of the investigation. If it does not get a response in the allotted time, Experian will correct the disputed information as you requested or delete the disputed information. During the investigation process, Experian does not add a comment, note, or any other indication of a dispute on your credit report.
  2. TransUnion Disputes
    TransUnion usually finishes an investigation and provides you the results about 30 days from the receipt of your dispute—but the company recommends preparing for up to 45 days. When a customer contacts the agency directly, it does not add an “in dispute” comment to their credit report.
  3. Equifax Disputes
    Once your dispute request is submitted, Equifax notifies you of the results within 30 days. On average, disputes are resolved within 10 days. Unlike the other two CRAs, Equifax makes an indication of a consumer dispute on your credit report during the investigation. On Equifax reports, the item will be “noted as ‘Consumer Disputes—Reinvestigation in Process” says Meredith Griffanti, senior director of public relations for Equifax, noting in her email, “If the consumer applies for credit during this time, the potential creditor will see this comment.”

Credit Disputes with Creditors

It is your right to dispute information that you believe to be inaccurate on your credit report. The overall process for disputing inaccurate information with creditors is similar to that of disputing information with the CRAs, but with one important difference: if you dispute an item directly with the furnisher, it will very likely be noted as “disputed” on your credit report for potential lenders to see.

Once you submit a dispute, the creditor has a duty to investigate your claim, according to the FCRA. In most cases, the creditor is expected to respond to your claim within 30 to 45 days and to inform you of the results of its investigation within five business days.

The creditor must notify the credit reporting agencies that you have disputed information, and, if it finds that the information is indeed incorrect, it must promptly provide accurate information to the reporting agencies. If you have received notice that the creditor agrees with your dispute, send a copy of that documentation to the CRAs that reported the information to ensure it gets updated.