Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

TN No Attorney yet. I am the tenant and yes maintenance is…

Customer Question
Hello Pearl Lawyer's Assistant:...

Hello Pearl

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

TN No Attorney yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I am the tenant and yes maintenance is the issue, it is so bad I had to leave because my employees were all quiting

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have not paid the rent in the past 2 months along with I will be completely moved out tomorrow afternoon. The Landlord and his attorney came and changed the lock on the front door but left the old lock on the back entry door. There have been no eviction notices or any papers served. No Court case or anything. The new place I had to move to because this place was unsafe and in really bad shape is costing me more. The guy tried to force me to leave because I rented the place that included utilities and he said I was using to much electricity and he also cut the water off for 3 days. He is some guy from China that does not speak much english.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/5/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 7 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I have read your comments, but I don't see any question...

.

What is your legal question that I can help with tonight?

Can the Landlord enter the premises without permission? I have already told them in writing not to enter the suite unless myself or someone I assign is with them. I have sensitive information on my servers as we are a Tax Software Development Company and are bound by DISA STIG regulations from the Department of Defense. He has previously enter our suite over a weekend a few months back and left both doors open until we came into work on Monday morning. I have had to move because of this and the unsafe condition the building is in. My employees were quitting because of the conditions of the building.
Its to late for the phone tonight I was just wanting to know what I should do

If they have a "lock out" clause in the lease, then yes, in the event of a default, they can retake possession immediately and lock a tenant out.. So you would need to review your written lease to see if that is in there. If not, then no, they can't.

.

But you still have the right to arrange a time with the landlord to remove your personal property from the premises as he has no legal right to hold it hostage for any breach. If there is money due one way or the other, either party can file suit in court to have a judge determine who owes who what..

.

.

thanks