Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can a landlord put a lock box on a home that still has

Customer Question
Can a landlord put...

Can a landlord put a lock box on a home that still has tenants occupying?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Lease is up 28 February. the homeowner wants to put the house on market soon and discussed putting a lock box on the home

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Regarding painting of property before tenants move out and can the homeowner stipulate what "show room" ready is while tenants still occupy?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/4/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. No, the landlord should not be placing a lockbox to allow entry by a realtor, when a tenant is still there unless they get their permission. The tenant still has a right to quiet enjoyment and privacy and that should not be disturbed. If the landlord wants to sell the home and show it, they can do so but need to give the tenant, reasonable notice. Now, if the landlord wants to paint the property, they can but can not interfere with the use and enjoyment of the rental or dictate how the tenant needs to keep the home.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!