Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My lease is not up but there is a lot wrong with the trailer…

Customer Question
My lease is not...

My lease is not up but there is a lot wrong with the trailer I live in and the landlord came to look at it. He says he is not fixing it he is going to trash the trailer and I have 14 days to move.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Sorry Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease basically says they have to upkeep the house as long as we were not destroying it. The problems with the trailer are not anything we could do to the trailer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Did the landlord give you a notice of non-renewal of the lease? Does the lease provide what happens at the end of the term (i.e. automatic renewal, month-to-month)?

no, the lease is not up until February. Code enforcement said he had to fix the trailer. He came by today with a contractor to look at the trailer and called my husband 30 minutes later and told him he was trashing the trailer and we have 14 days to move. There is a renewal option at the end of the lease
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

My apologies, I misread your original post as stating that the lease is up.

Answer: The landlord is legally obligated to maintain the premises in a habitable condition during the term of the lease. The landlord cannot evict the tenant during the term of the lease if the tenant has not breached the lease. If the landlord refuses to make the necessary repairs, the tenant has several options, including withholding rent or terminating the lease.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

hello
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi Tammy. Did you see my response to your question?