Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I need to find out the law in California regarding emotional…

Customer Question
I need to find...

I need to find out the law in California regarding emotional support animals and it being a prohibited breed on the lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

What do you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The landlord gave me a 3 day notice to get rid of my dog but he is a emotional support animal but under the lease a prohibited breed. I need to know what to do. I have a doctors letter for the dog

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/4/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

The landlord is not acting lawfully.

A landlord cannot reject a service dog or assistance animal because of breed, size, or weight. In other words, a determination that a service dog or assistance animal poses a direct threat or would cause substantial physical damage must be based on an individualized assessment that relies on objective evidence about the specific animal's actual conduct. The determination must not be made on mere speculation or fear about the types of harm or damage an animal may cause or because of evidence about harm or damage that other similar animals have caused.

A landlord or other housing provider may deny a request to keep a service dog, psychiatric service dog, or support animal in California as a reasonable accommodation if the specific animal:

• poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, or
  • would cause substantial physical damage to the property of others.

However, if the threat or damage can be reduced or eliminated by another reasonable accommodation, the landlord must allow the animal.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Retain an attorney and have them write a letter demanding the landlord cease and desist from their discriminatory and illegal action. If they continue then you can file suit. If you prevail you can be awarded punitive damages and attorney fees.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

even if he is an emotional support dog and not a service dog in California I can still claim it to keep him
Correct.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!