Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I signed a 6 month lease to an apt in Arizona on sept 28.

Customer Question
I signed a 6...

I signed a 6 month lease to an apt in Arizona on sept 28. spent my first night there on october 1. oct 16 i was informing the office of bed bugs in my apt. they said they knew the apt next door was infested as theyd been in and out of court to gain access to that apt since the renter refused treatment. Oct 16 was my last night spent there. october 23rd was first treatment by professionals. met the bug guy at the property to allow access as i had locked myself out and replaced the locks on oct 13. oct 30 was reported as another treatment by professional pest people, they left treatment receipt.i would stop by every couple of days at this point just to get visual confirmation all was well. Nov 8 i stopped by, spoke with a neighbor, checked things out and still saw active bed bug movement. On november 15, i stopped in and saw my door knob had been drilled out and replaced by a dead bolt and the front window had been blacked out so i couldnt see in. it was after hours but i called the manager anyway. she said i could meet her on the 16th to get a new key. she said that pest control guy had never returned the key to the knob i had replaced with and so drilling the lock was necessary for access for a property management heat treatment, and she said there was a 48 hour access notice posted on my door but there was no such notice when i had arrived. i called on the 16th and told mgr that i couldnt make it in that day to get a key, she said fine come whenever that she was at another property that day anyway. i called on the 17th to be told she doesnt work on fridays, i will have to come on the 20th. upon getting to the office on the 20th, i was told i would not be given a key, i had to wait for letter from their atty but wouldnt give me his name before being allowed entry to move my stuff out, that the notice had been a 48 hour access/abandonment notice and mgmt had considered it abandoned since they had tried my cell number to gain access before drilling the lock, but my phone had been destroyed so i didnt get those calls. (after replacing my phone, there were no messages left by the mgr during that time) i asked if it were so important why didnt she call the work number i had provided, she said she was under no obligation to dial any other number, and then i left, extremely upset, to await contact from their lawyer. i called her again on the 21st about getting in to get my belongings she said she was again at another property that she would meet me on the 22nd. on the 22nd, 45 minutes after the time she was supposed to meet me, a manager from another property showed up to let me in to a nearly empty apartment. everything was gone, the fridge was empty, my power box was gone, all of it except a 45 inch TV, my tiffany lamp, and the vanity in my bedroom. i need some help to get some form of retribution. i cannot even get the police to come take a statement from me, they said i have to do it online, even though my situation doesnt meet the criteria on the website. where do i go from here?? please and thank you for your time

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/3/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Do you have reason to believe that thieves or the landlord took your stuff?

Since the most admitted to drilling the lock out and changing her story over the weekend from a 48 hour access notice on Wednesday to a 48 hour abandonment notice on the following Monday, I think it's safe to assume property management

Ok, so, normally, of course, I'd say you need to refer this to the police. If they are of no help, then there isn't much that can be done, at least from a criminal end. If you have reason to believe that property management removed your property, then you may have some civil causes of action you could bring forward. It sounds like you may have a case of trespass to chattels (personal property) and trespass to land. The usual measure of damages is the rental value for the time they were on the land and the fair market value of your stuff, if it can't be returned. If it can be returned, then a court would probably order that it be returned.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising them to pay you for the items that are lost and stolen, for the trespass, and for a return of your items, if they haven't returned them yet. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Wha other questions did you have for me today?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer