Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I am breaking my lease due to the owners son telling me my

Customer Question

I am breaking my lease due to the owners son telling me my rent will go up if my daughter stays with me . It is no where in my rental agreement about increased rent if another person occupies. They are charging me a 750$ re- leasing fee as well , again nowhere in my rental agreement about a re-leasing charge.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Long Beach california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I typed my 30 day notice Tuesday , and paid my last month rent of 1895.00 December 1st.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That I did not agree to any of these terms in my rental agreement. If he is going to increase my rent I feel I have the right to end my lease. I am not going to kick my daughter out on the street. They gave me nothing in writing just a very rude phone call thanksgiving weekend . My daughter needs my help right now and it was handled so unprofessionally as well as heartless. ouse
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about this. Just to be clear, you have a lease in place? Are you asking that he be added as a tenant?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am in a 1 year lease in a 1 bedroom back house apartment. Landlord lives in the front house. My daughter moved ask from Michigan in mid October after a life changing event. She came to stay with me, and my landlord knew everything and was absolutely fine with it. She asked for nothing in writing nor did she say anything about my rent going up. Then her son called me and said HE was the Manager and I am to deal with him. He said he found out that my daughter was still at my place ( about 6 weeks at that time ) and that she was beyond the 14 day limit and needs to get out by the end of the week or my rent is going up ! There is absolutely nothing in my rental agreement stating any of this. My daughter got a job, we are sharing my car as well. She can't just move out on to the streets and with the way he handled this I don't want to stay here paying more rent when I can find a place for the both off us if he is going to increase my rent. I pay $1,895.00 a month for a tiny 1 bedroom. From reading my rights he gave me nothing in writing nor did he give me any warning as to my daughter. His mother is my landlord on my lease his name is nowhere.

Thank you and please allow me a moment

If you have a lease in place, she would need to be added as a tenant and be given permission by the landlord, to reside there. If you have someone living there who is not on the lease, you could be in violation of the lease and subject to eviction. Now, if they want to allow her to stay and will agree to add her but raise the rent as a condition, they can. However, they can not just raise the rent if she were to vacate and you were going to remain. There was nothing wrong with her visiting and staying as a guest but if she is living there, they have to agree to this and work something out with you or she would need to leave or they have to evict you. It is not a situation whereby she can stay and they have to allow it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!