Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in nyc with 3 other roomates. All three of my

Customer Question
I live in nyc...

I live in nyc with 3 other roomates. All three of my roommates are bullying and harrassing me making it unbearable to live in the apartment. One roommate even told me if I didn't like it then I should move out. I wrote to the landlord and told her I was basically asked to move by the roommates, She said she was sorry to hear that and they would have to find another roommate or pay the full rent or she would evict them. Once I gave the roommates notice I was moving they threatened to sue me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?

NYC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The landlord says she won't hold me liable if I wasn't living in the apartment if she has to evict them

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/30/2017
Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Keep evidence of the harassment - copies of any emails or documents, photgraphs, etc. If you have witnesses get a statement from them.

The room mates would not be able to successfully sue you if they have bullied you out of the apartment. There is a legal doctrine called "Unclean hands." By acting in a way to force you out of the apartment they are barred by this doctrine from suing you for the damages they caused to themselves.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

I have some evidence of the bullying and harrassment what do I need to make my case stronger if they attempt to sue me?

The evidence of the bullying and harassment should be sufficient. Obtain a letter from the landlord excusing you from the rent because of the bullying. Any appropriate police report that may have been taken would be useful.

Keep a journal so you can refresh your memories, and get statements from any witnesses.

Good luck. No one should live in an environment of intimidation.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)