Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I lost 4 mail packages in the value of $3000. They were

Customer Question
I lost 4 mail...

I lost 4 mail packages in the value of $3000. They were delivered to my building and recorded by the doorman. I asked my landlord to file a claim with the building management, but she has not done anything. Can I ask the landlord for compensation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed a police report and sent many emails to the landlord.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I also have mice problem in the apartment. I bought mouse traps and caught 3. I sent the landlord pictures and she is accusing me that mice problem arose because the apartment is not clean. In fact other units in the same building also reported mice problem.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

lost 4 mail packages in the value of $3000. They were delivered to my building and recorded by the doorman. I asked my landlord to file a claim with the building management, but she has not done anything. Can I ask the landlord for compensation?

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

This appears to be a breach of contract based on the failure to perform within a reasonable time on the basis that the landlord has not filed a claim that they would otherwise be required to file as a result. Courts regularly look toward the Uniform Commercial Code as their guide, since many states have adopted this code into their own statutes. Under UCC Section 2-309(1), the law says that each party has a reasonable time to perform if it is not expressly stated in the contract. What is considered “reasonable” is a matter of fact and depends on the circumstances, but it is an argument that you would have to make that it is unreasonable. Regardless, there is a legal basis for your particular claim. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state started.

Thanks for providing that. This one is a bit different, but kind of the same. This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets. The usual measure of damages is either 1) a cancellation of the lease agreement; 2) a withholding of the rent until the item is repaired; or 3) you repair the matter yourself and request reimbursement.

To help facilitate the situation, you may want to click here to download a “Complaint to Landlord” template. The template only costs $10 and the company that owns the template sends it securely in an email usually 1-2 business days after your purchase.

Now she sent her representatives to entered the apartment without prior notice four times. Of course I was away. She accused me of not keeping the apartment clean and she said that she wanted to sell the apartment because both parties are not happy. Is this a threat from her?

It's a threat, but not one that is actionable legally. I wouldn't worry about it unless your place is posing a serious and objective health hazard. Did you have any other questions for me?

What form shall I use? When I clicked on the link, I was asked to pay $10, but I do not know what forms I will get.

if you click here, you can use the breach of contract template. Instead of buying two, I would just also make your complaint about the vermin issue as well since these documents are sent to you in a Word doc format. Did you have any other questions for me?