Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I don't have the money in cash to pay my rent I only am able…

Customer Question
I don't have the money...
I don't have the money in cash to pay my rent I only am able to use credit card or debit which is how I usually pay my rent due to and I was informed that my file will be sent to an eviction attorney to process my eviction as rent was due long ago. I informed my landlord and management that I was out of town due to my daughter's medical issues and just could not pay rent at the time due is there a way to prevent an eviction from happening as I am now back home and will not make it to my apartment in time to pay in person
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/28/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 7 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

,

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Does the landlord have any way to accept credit card payments?

.

Have they given you a written notice to pay or vacate?

.

.

thanks

No they haven't and I'm from California

Ok, then they can't do anything at all until they give you a written 3 day notice to pay or vacate. Once they do, you have 3 full days, starting the day after you get the notice, to pay the rent and any late fees in full.

.

So you still have time to pay if they haven't given you a 3 day in writing..

She did say she would send in my file to the eviction lawyer but she never posted a 3 day notice just yet. In fact, she did threaten the same thing in the beginning of the month after I informed her I was out of state due to my daughter's medical condition and she was needing medical care there should have been a way to access payment online or via phone and still the landlord said to only pay in person with cashiers check or money order. Since then rent was not paid and she did not mention it anymore until recently. I think for the inability to have online access they just didn't press anymore about rent until very recently. I was given notice 3 day to pay rent or quit and it got cleared up by communicating with the landlord letting her know that I was out of town I wonder if the eviction could be dropped once it's placed on me as she failed to provide accessibility to paying rent online. In the past on numerous occasions they have failed to fix pipes leaking in the apt failed to install air conditioning (there's no ac or heater in the apt unit) in which I requested as my daughter has multiple health conditions and I feel an eviction is not necessary if I'm offering to pay rent in person even if it's late?

I wonder if the eviction could be dropped once it's placed on me as she failed to provide accessibility to paying rent online.

.

Yes, it is always an option for the landlord to drop an eviction case prior to a judgment being entered..

.

and I feel an eviction is not necessary if I'm offering to pay rent in person even if it's late?

.

The issues you have had in the past aren't legally relevant to you not paying rent now.. But if they haven't given you a 3 day notice (I can't tell if they have or haven't by your comments) then they can't pursue an eviction in court. If they have, and you didn't pay within that 3 days, then it is entirely up to them whether they accept the rent and drop the matter or not..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much