Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have lived in this apartment fo 18 years not on lease

Customer Question
I have lived in...

I have lived in this apartment fo 18 years not on lease never a problem.3years ago got a landord who is very greedy my rent is 425 amonth she trying to raise it to 475 with out contract and then to 500 i cannot aford this and dont have the money to move i will be homeless what should i do.on top of that if you have problem with somebody your neigbor.she does not care this year had a major problem with one that was mean excovict she rented to him without doing a back ground check itwas night mare i had to go to court twice because of both time he lost.but he threaten my life lied to the police said i did this and that to cover himself.and he lost in court i was advised by loyer i should sue her in court for endangerment.i have the paper work here. i dont know what to do help me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No lease contract at all with no terms at all noithing in writeing all i have is reciept from payiny rent every month

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The rent was agreement verbally

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Can you please clarify for me what your question is?

how do i keep from loseing my apartment threw eviction we have no contract at all between us just verbally my rent is 425 she is trying to raise it to 475 this apartment needs alot of work on it, she is threatening to evict me if i dont pay the 475 jan 2018 just answer me online now dont have any more now
tell what to do so she cant evict me there is no contract at all between us its verbal i pay my rent every month without missing

Thank you for the reply. Without a lease in place, you have a month to month tenancy. As such, the landlord could end it, with at least, a 30 day written notice to vacate. You can not force the landlord to allow you to rent and without a lease, you are limited in protection. I have shared the law below, for you to review. I have to be upfront and honest with you and share that you can not force her to allow you to stay and if she wants you to vacate, she can give you the proper notice.

33-1375. Periodic tenancy; hold-over remedies

A. The landlord or the tenant may terminate a week-to-week tenancy by a written notice given to the other at least ten days prior to the termination date specified in the notice.

B. The landlord or the tenant may terminate a month-to-month tenancy by a written notice given to the other at least thirty days prior to the periodic rental date specified in the notice.

C. If the tenant remains in possession without the landlord's consent after expiration of the term of the rental agreement or its termination, the landlord may bring an action for possession and if the tenant's holdover is willful and not in good faith the landlord, in addition, may recover an amount equal to not more than two months' periodic rent or twice the actual damages sustained by the landlord, whichever is greater. If the landlord consents in writing to the tenant's continued occupancy, section 33-1314, subsection D applies.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!