Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am renter and we have rats in our drop ceiling and walls…

Customer Question
I am renter...

I am renter and we have rats in our drop ceiling and walls of the building. landlord is not calling a professional exterminator to rid these. he is also not wanting to seal up all holes on outside of building where rats are entering. He is using his maintenance men who dont know all that much on ridding them and using all natural pellets called "Rat X" to kill. one got into apartment and husband had to kill and remove it. what can we do to make him do something about this and can i withold rent till he does?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

We live in North adams, ma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

To whom and what exactly? board of health in the town we live in?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What our our rights on making him do something to get rid of them

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/23/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney
A few minutes please as I get you this information
what is landlord legally responsible for in ridding the rat issue that has started here in the building in which we rent 1 of the apartments
should i file a report with the board of health in the town of MA we live in so they are aware and contact owner to do what is needed as in getting a professtional exterminator out to the building asap? we call and nothing has been done . no holes on outside of building have even been looked for and sealed, no correct poison or snap traps have been place in order to catch and kill the rats. what can we do about this? can we withhold rent till this is rectified?
The landlord has a duty to maintain a habitable living space for the tenants. This requirement includes keeping the premises free of rodents, please see:http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/massachusetts-landlord-and-tenants-duties.aspxThe tenant, after giving written notice to the landlord, may deduct a portion of the rent to reflect fair market value based on the problem. However they may also repair and deduct, so the tenant may hire an exterminator and handle the issue in a reasonable manner and deduct this expense. One moment please.
This has 3 requirements : written notice to the landlors, inspection by official, and an opportunity for landlord to fix the problem. Please see:https://www.mass.gov/guides/guide-to-common-tenant-rights-and-remedies
I reviewed your response and believe I addressed that in my last post but please let me know if you have any questions!
Did you have any other questions? You are my last customer so I wanted to make sure before signing off . Enjoy the holiday!